How can I keep my account secure?
Review the tips below to learn more about how you can help keep your account and information secure.
Make sure your password is at least 8 characters long, and try to use a mix of letters, numbers, and special characters (ex: #, $, , !). The password you use for your BOTY account should be different than the passwords you use for other websites, like your email, bank account, or social media. That way, if one of your other accounts is compromised, it’s less likely to impact your BOTY account.
Learn how to update your password.
A few general guidelines to help you stay safe online:
- Always log in at http://localhost/getbotyfour: Check any page’s URL before you enter your login info—when in doubt, you can always type http://localhost/getbotyfour directly into your browser.
- Look for “https://” at the beginning of the URL. This means that your connection is encrypted, protecting the integrity and confidentiality of data sent between your computer and BOTY. Some browsers may also show a lock icon next to the URL to confirm that it’s secure. BOTY will try and force your browser to use HTTPS, but this may not work for all browsers.
- Keep your devices and software up to date: Device manufacturers and software providers often provide updates that address security risks and introduce new security protections.
- Install antivirus software: Install antivirus software from a trustworthy source to detect, prevent, and remove common viruses or other types of attacks.
- Check the sender: Don’t click any links or download any attachments unless you know and trust the source.
Off-site payments and messages
BOTY will never ask you to pay elsewhere—and we ask that you keep all payment and communication on the BOTY platform. Don’t share your email address and always carefully examine emails claiming to be from BOTY. We’ll never ask you to exchange money outside of BOTY or send us your password information over email.
If you encounter a suspicious message, flag it for review. If someone emails you asking you to pay, email us at email@example.com.